The City of Charles Sturt, invited urban designers, landscape architects and architects to submit design ideas for Adelaide’s Henley Square and Beachfront area as part of a two stage open competition.
ASPECT Studios with 6 Degrees Architects reimagined Henley Square as a fine grain urban fabric by the open sea with a green oasis and open lawns and terraces at its heart. The proposition responded to the demands of the buzzing summer crowds and equally, the still of sunrise on an autumn morning.
Important design principles included:
– Amplify Henley’s identity as a distinctive cosmopolitan beach side oasis
– Craft a sequence of diverse public spaces that appeal to multiple individual and social experiences
– Prioritise pedestrian comfort, experience and ease of movement
– Increase the intensity and mix of activities and uses around the square, lane ways and foreshore, including new opportunities for small, creative bar and eateries, public facilities and future affordable living options
– Integrate and connect the square and foreshore with the existing urban fabric and beach environment
– Enhance Henley’s heritage grain and scale
– Frame important view lines to the sea, pier and square
– Attract private investment to fund desirable long term public services and assets
– Spatial, material and vegetation responses to dynamic coastal conditions: tides, surges, shifting sand, salty air, prevailing winds, rains and sun
The City of Charles Sturt
Henley Beach, Adelaide, SA, Australia
ASPECT Studios, 6 Degrees Architects
3D images courtesy of 6 Degrees Architects